Sunday, April 22, 2012

Why 90s Music Is Better Than Everything Else


The Early 90s

I already know this will start some arguments. But I was inspired by my dearest friend Victoria. She is constantly on Facebook saying the 90s were the best time for music while subsequently posting a video of The Cranberries or The Gin Blossoms. But c'mon, let's get real here. The 90s really were the best. I'm going to give a few examples of the music that shaped me and who I am. Feel free to share your 90s music nostalgia!
The first group that comes to mind for me is Boyz II Men. I just remember getting the cassette tape and listening in my walkman, while sitting in the back of my mom's station wagon. Not the back seat, but the way back. That storage area/trunk space with no seats or seat belts that you apparently shoved your 3rd child in to and just hoped for the best. But while listening to CooleyHighHarmony, I heard about an East Coast Family. What? There's more greatness out there and they're all from around Philly?! Amazing. We got ourselves some "Boyz II Men, ABC, BBD." This was before the internet so I couldn't just Google what the hell that meant. I had to do some investigating. Luckily for me, I had older siblings who were probably so annoyed after I asked, that they told me with an annoyed sneer and shoved me out of their way, continuing on with their business. Another Bad Creation was next. It can be argued that Kriss Kross did it better, but ABC had more kids which made it more fun to listen to. This was awesome to hear kids around my age rapping and singing. Oh my gosh, it could happen to me! I had already been practicing my dance moves while watching Star Search. I'm half way there. If you don't know who they are, go on youtube and look up their video for "Iesha". Prepare to have your life changed. Then there's Bell Biv Devoe who were the bad boys of the group. I knew Poison was bad for you, but they sure as hell made it sound really good.




The Introduction of Compact Discs

I started to come in to my own in my pre-teens (as far as music goes) with the introduction of compact discs. I got a pretty sweet CD player/stereo but all I was missing were actual CDs. So off to the mall we go to visit the now-defunct-lifetime-music-guarantee-offering store, The Wall. I knew nothing about music except for what my siblings were listening to. But I wanted to mark my own niche. The first albums I picked up were (in no particular order) Weird Al's "Alapalooza", Janet Jackson's "Design of a Decade" and The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers The Movie soundtrack. Before you go judging, the Power Rangers soundtrack actually had good music on it and helped me discover some bands, mostly The Red Hot Chili Peppers. That's right, the Chili Peppers are on the Power Rangers soundtrack. Also the Janet Jackson cd was pretty good. I can get in to some R&B if I wanted to. Just picture a pre-teen suburban white kid in his room practicing dance moves to "If". This also proves that 90s Janet was better than 80s Janet and 2000-on Janet. (Ex. "That's The Way Love Goes", "Scream" with Michael, "Again".)
I began to watch VH1's Top 20 Countdown every week, now that I had access to music. This was in the day where everything on the countdown was good! I could watch the whole show and be cool with it! I definitely can't do that now.
Mariah Carey in the 90s was at the top of her game. She was sexy without trying too hard. Hanging out on roller coasters singing so high that only dogs can hear. Now she's trying to shove it in our faces. "Hey look at me! I'm not wearing much! I'm sexy! Remember? I'm sexy! Look at me dance sexy! I'm sitting on a car hood wearing a bra! Look! Do you see?!" Yeah we get it. Now stop it. Britney Spears was adorable in the 90s. She had the appeal to attract young girls and old creepy guys. Now today she needs to have constant supervision because who knows what the hell the girl is going to do. Madonna 90s is arguable. She was definitely better then, than she is now. But 80s Madonna was pretty hardcore. Madonna was usually the reason behind why I was confused with what was happening to my body.
To wrap it up, I'll just go through some bands/songs that got me through the confusing time of child to teenager.
Hootie and the Blowfish. They were everywhere! Listen to "Let Her Cry" now and tell me that doesn't hold the test of time.
TLC. Who didn't own a copy of CrazySexyCool?! R.I.P. Left Eye. Don't go chasin Waterfalls girl.
Alanis Morissette killed it in the 90s. Bitch was crazy! Then she runs off to India and now she's all zen? Someone needs to break up with her or maybe rob her house. I don't know. Just do something to piss her off and then shove her in a recording studio.
The Spice Girls. I added them mostly because I like that song "2 Become 1". Listen to it while you're hanging out with your significant other in a sexy setting. The title of the song is literally telling you to have sex. It's guaranteed. If you can't get laid while this song is playing, then you have no game, my friend, and probably shouldn't be having sex in the first place.
Lisa Loeb. Come on! "Stay"!?! This stuff is gold! If I was in the business of making movies, I'd play this song every time someone was falling in love with someone else. Every. Single. Time.
Marilyn Manson was brought to my attention the summer before I went in to high school. He was the guy that everyone loved to hate. My mom banned me from listening to him just like moms used to do with Kiss in the 70s. But of course, tell a high school kid they can't do something and what do you think is going to happen? I had the t-shirts, posters, every album, EP, single, necklaces and I went to every concert in the Philly area he did. I still do to this day. The only difference now is that no one is really that shocked by him anymore. So again, 90s Manson is better than current day Manson.
I'll list some random bands to show you how the music was better in the 90s, whether it be the actual band was better then, or just music was better in general. Radiohead. Third Eye Blind. Oasis. Green Day. Goo Goo Dolls. Collective Soul. Alice In Chains. Stone Temple Pilots. Soundgarden. Fiona Apple. LL Cool J. 2Pac. Notorious B.I.G. KoRn. Rage Against The Machine. The Smashing Pumpkins. Nine Inch Nails. Beastie Boys. Silverchair. Blind Melon. Veruca Salt. Garbage. Bush.
I am going to end this on the band that influenced me the most and I still love them to death. That would be No Doubt. I heard "Just A Girl" during the opening credits of Clueless and loved it, but didn't think it would relate to me as a young teenage boy. Then I heard "Spiderwebs" on the radio and fell in love. I was at the Jersey shore when I asked my mom if we could stop in the record store so I could pick it up. I saw that beautiful bleached blonde California damsel for the first time on the cover of "Tragic Kingdom" and my life was changed. Gwen Stefani was then quickly displayed all over my room. I actually had dedicated an entire wall of my room to her and the band. It covered every inch. Just ask my brother who was sharing the room with me at the time. After spending 17 of my 30 years obsessing over her, nothing has changed. I wanted to be Adrian Young, the drummer, so bad. I especially wanted his hair styles. I wanted to shave my head and have devil horns on the top. Leopard printed hair. Rainbow mohawk. Everything. I recently saw them in Philly in 2010 and at the end of the show, he threw out his drum stick right to me. It is still proudly on display. I am anxiously awaiting their new album and will be at their shows when they come back again.

No comments: