Sunday, April 22, 2012

Why I'm Too Old To Go To Hardcore Shows




I went to a hardcore show last night. Well, it was half hardcore. I call this a young people show. A show that I used to go to all the time when I was a young person. Now that I'm quickly approaching 30, I like to go to concerts where I have a seat and I'm not being pushed around and I don't have to stand. I like to sit and enjoy a show. Maybe have a few drinks. Yeah, I already said I was old. But I like the band D.R.U.G.S., which stands for Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows. I still like angry music every once in a while. It is funny though when my iPod is on shuffle and I listen to Snow Patrol's "Chasing Cars" and then it's followed up by a hardcore screaming song. I like variety.
So I've wanted to see D.R.U.G.S. for a while but they kept opening for bigger bands in bigger venues that I didn't want to go to. So finally they announced that they were going to headline a tour at a small venue. $20, I was in. So last night was the big night. The show took place at Philly's own Trocadero Theater. Or is it Theatre? I have no idea. We knew there was going to be a lot of bands opening, so we tried to get there late. Unfortunately for us, we only missed the first band. Must not have been that late. We walked in and there was not a lot of people there. The band playing at the time were called My Arcadia. The only way I know this is because I found a friend of mine who was there and asked. She's more in touch with what was going on. I was showing my age. My Arcadia was like a junior Paramore, which is a junior No Doubt. So I guess My Arcadia would be No Doubt III? Either way the lead singer was a girl in a band full of guys. They were rocking out and she was singing all pretty. Adorable. I may have to check out their stuff online and see what it's like.
The next band were called Sparks the Rescue. They all came out and my first thought was, "Oh they are all 15 and I am not going to get this." I was definitely right.
The next band out was Like Moths to Flames. All these giant dudes came out on to the floor and there was this sort of energy starting. The band starts playing and the singer starts growling and screaming. The guys on the floor start a huge pit and they're running around swinging fists and kicking the air. That's their version of dancing, apparently. Now listen, this was not my first hardcore show. I've been to hundreds of concerts where there was moshing and punching. I've seen my share of blood and knocked out teeth. I'm saying it's not the concerts that are changing, it is me that is changing. I'm watching the pit and saying to my friend Beckie, "They need to be careful. Someone can get punched accidentally. They should be wearing helmets." This sentence sealed my fate as the old man at the young show. But I do have to say there still was a part of me that liked the heavy band and I still had that small flame burning inside that made me want to run in there and push around with them. But this face is my money maker, so I'll watch from the side.
The next band came out was called Hit The Lights. They were not as heavy and just sounded like any other band out there. My friend that I was speaking to before about what the band's names were, had a photo pass to take pictures of Hit The Lights. That was the only exciting thing about that band that I could think of.
Finally it was time for D.R.U.G.S. to come out! When I see shows, I buy the ticket for the headlining band. I don't want to see 500 shitty opening bands. So this show was a doozy with 5 opening bands. The band was a lot heavier than on their album. Granted, they have the heavy guitars and the screaming, but more so live. I kind of loved it and wished the album sounded like their live show more! The band only has one album so they played for 45 minutes. They even attempted an encore with 2 more songs. It was fun. But I was excited to leave for a couple reasons. I was cold, I was tired, my back hurt from standing and I was hungry. But hey, I am still young enough to enjoy a hardcore show. So I'm fine with that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome blog. A fun one to read -David

Mateo said...

Approaching 30 is too old for hardcore?!? What’s your perspective on that now, nearly 10 years later?